Software Engineering has been a discipline in computer science for the last 45 years and its importance is increasing sharply as software becomes an integral part of our everyday life. There is a need to develop high quality working software that follows rapidly changing market needs and the speed of technological transformation. At the same time, the IT market increasingly demands practitioners who are specialized in specific areas such as web and mobile applications, information security, data networks and data analytics.
This postgraduate course is created in order to give students the knowledge and skills required to fulfil these demands. It offers students advanced knowledge in software engineering and its specializations. Using a variety of teaching and assessment methods, it aims to produce students with the skills that are necessary for work as respected professionals in an industrial environment. The course has a strong industrial dimension through a specialized industrial project module which is supported by external companies. It also features a strong research dimension through the dissertation, supervised by teaching staff who are actively engaged in the research areas of software engineering.
The course offers four pathways–specializations on Web & Mobile applications, Data Analytics, Information Security, Data Networks in order to further specialise students in areas which are highly contemporary in the current IT industry.
The aims of the MSc in Advanced Software Engineering:
- Produce high calibre professionals, well-equipped to pursue successful careers in the IT industry and/or the academia.
- To provide students with an in depth understanding of the techniques which are utilized for the development of complex software systems.
- To provide students with knowledge of the methods which aim to assure the reliability and the quality of software systems and to use this knowledge as the stepping stone for exploring main current issues involved in software engineering.
- To make students aware of contemporary technologies and their application in the development of modern IT systems.
- To integrate in the course a practical industrial dimension. All students participate in group projects proposed with collaboration with industries operating in the IT sector.
- To expose students to contemporary issues on by incorporating in the course the expertise of practitioners and researchers on the field. This aim is achieved by seminars held by guest lecturers from the industry and academia.