OTHER ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS
2008: Harvard JFK School of Government
The Art & Science of Negotiation: An executive short education program designed by Harvard to improve the ability of professionals in the public and private sectors who face significant change and transition in their workplace and/or societies, and who would like to enhance their influence both internally and externally.
Currently instructing or co-instructing courses on
– Advanced Perception
– Programming Languages and Data Structures
– Ambient Intelligence Laboratory
– Digital Signal Processing
Instructor on Multimodal Interfaces: AIT Summer School
– Athens Information Technology: Assistant Professor.
– Imperial College London: Visiting Academic.
Other Experience (Past or current)
– Radio producer of DIGITAL: Technology show on the nationally broadcasted radio-station Flash 96.
– Editor of the Technology section of nooz.gr.
– Research Associate in Imperial College London.
– Technical Advisor in Kappa Research, Athens.
– Software Engineer in ARM Microelectronics, Cambridge, UK.
– Technical Consultant in Simplex CA, Athens.
– Signal processing
– Acoustic signal processing
– Ambient Intelligence
– Multimedia communications
INTERNATIONAL / NATIONAL PROJECTS
– HERMES. EU FP7 funded. The project provides an integrated approach to cognitive care. This is achieved through an assistive technology that combines the functional skills of the older person to reduce age-related decline of cognitive capabilities and assist the user where necessary. Working on audio-visual front-end technologies for speech related interfaces.
– DNR, Industrial, (2008-2009): Creation of technology for noise reduction in off-road telecommunications of vehicles. Cooperation with Intacom. Co-supervising progress and implementing systems.
– CHIL (Computers in the Human Interaction Loop). EU FP6 funded. Fade the computers into the background by creation of multimodal interfaces. Responsible for the audio based research and development. Developed several prototype technologies involving acoustic source localization and separation.
– PRIAMOS. GSRT funded. Ubiquitous and autonomic systems employment for security services. Responsible for audio sub-systems.
– On-line Interactive TV program guide. Integration of a speech recognition engine into a STB. Co-operation with IBM and Intracom.
– Research Associate in the Signal Processing and Telecommunications Group of the Electrical & Electronics Engineering Department, Imperial College London. An EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council) research grant on the investigation of microphone-array technologies.
– IEEE, ASA, AES, EURASIP Member
EDITORIAL WORK / PAPER REVIEWING
– IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing
– IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing
– IEEE Signal Processing Letters
– Journal of Acoustical Society of America
– Journal of the Acoustical Engineering Society
– T. Petsatodis, F. Talantzis, C. Boukis, Z.-H. Tan, R. Prasad, “Exploring Super-Gaussianity towards robust information-theoretical time delay estimation”, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (JASA), Vol. 133, No. 3, DOI: 10.1121/1.4776193, 2013.
– T. Petsatodis, C. Boukis, F. Talantzis, Z. Tan, “Convex Combination of Multiple Statistical Models with application to VAD”, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 19, No. 8, DOI: 10.1109/TASL.2011.2131131, pp. 2314 – 2327, 2011.
– F. Talantzis, “An Acoustic Source Localization and Tracking Framework Using Particle Filtering and Information Theory”, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 18, No. 7, pp. 1806 – 1817, Sep. 2010.
– V. Theodoreli, T. Petsatodis, J. Soldatos, F. Talantzis and A. Pnevmatikakis, “A Low-Cost Multi-Touch Surface Device supporting Effective Ergonomic Cognitive Training for the Elderly”, Invited Paper in the Journal of Ambient Computing and Intelligence (IJACI).
– F. Talantzis, A. G. Constantinides, “A Multi-Microphone Voice Activity Detection System Based on Mutual Information”, Journal of the Acoustical Engineering Society (AES), Vol. 57, No. 11, Nov. 2009
– F. Talantzis, A. Pnevmatikakis, A. G. Constantinides, “Audio-Visual Active Speaker Tracking In Cluttered Indoors Environments”, IEEE Transactions On Systems, Man, And Cybernetics—Part B: Cybernetics, Vol. 38, No. 3, June 2008.
– F. Talantzis, D. B. Ward, P. A. Naylor, “Performance Analysis of Dynamic Acoustic Source Separation In Reverberant Rooms,” IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1378 – 1390, July 2006.
– A. Pnevmatikakis, F. Talantzis, J. Soldatos and L. Polymenakos, “Robust Multimodal Audio-Visual Processing for Advanced Context Awareness in Smart Spaces”, Journal of Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, DOI: 10.1007/s00779-007-0169-9, Apr. 2007.
– D. Mostefa, A. Pnevmatikakis, V. Mylonakis, F. Talantzis, ‘The CHIL Audiovisual Corpus for Lecture and Meeting Analysis inside Smart Rooms’, Journal of Language Resources and Evaluation, Vol. 41, No. 3-4, Dec. 2007.
– F. Talantzis, A. G. Constantinides, L. C. Polymenakos, “Estimation of Direction of Arrival Using Information Theory,” IEEE Signal Processing, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 561 – 564, August 2005.
– F. Talantzis, D. B. Ward, “Robustness Of Multi-Channel Equalization In Acoustical Reverberant Environments,” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 833-841, August 2003.
– V. Mylonakis, F. Talantzis and L. Polymenakos, ‘Real-Time Audio Source Localization Using Information Theory’, in S. Renals, S. Bengio and J. Fiscus (Eds.): MLMI 2006, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 2006.
– N. Katsarakis, G. Souretis, F. Talantzis, A. Pnevmatikakis and L. Polymenakos, “3D Audiovisual Person Tracking Using Kalman Filtering and Information Theory”, CLEAR 2006, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 2006.
– A. Pnevmatikakis, F. Talantzis, J. Soldatos and L. Polymenakos, ‘Robust Multimodal Audio-Visual Processing for Advanced Context Awareness in Smart Spaces’, in I. Maglogiannis, K. Karpouzis and M. Bramer (eds.), Artificial Intelligence Applications and Innovations (AIAI06), Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 290-301, June 2006.
– T. Petsatodis, F. Talantzis, C. Boukis, “Empirical Mode Decomposition VAD based on Multiple Sensor LRT”, Proc. of IEEE Constantinides International Workshop on Signal Processing (CIWSP 2013), London, UK, Jan. 2013. – T. Petsatodis, F. Talantzis, C. Boukis, Z.H. Tan, R. Prasad, “Multi-Sensor Voice Activity Detection based on Multiple Observation Hypothesis Testing”, Proc. of INTERSPEECH, Florence, Italy, Aug. 2011.
– A. Pnevmatikakis, F. Talantzis, “Person tracking in enhanced cognitive care: A particle filtering approach”, Special session on Person tracking for assistive working and living environments, Proc. of EUSIPCO 2010, Aalborg, Denmark, Aug. 2010.
– T. Petsatodis, J. Soldatos, A. Pnevmatikakis, F. Talantzis, “Multi-Touch Surfaces as Motivating and Ergonomic Environments for Elderly Cognitive Training”, 3rd European Conference on Ambient Intelligence – Workshop on Designing Ambient Interactions for older users, Salzburg, Austria, Nov. 2009.
– T. Petsatodis, F. Talantzis, A. Pnevmatikakis, U. Diaz “Interactive surfaces for enhanced cognitive care”, Proceedings of IEEE Int. Conf. Digital Signal Processing, Santorini, Greece, July 2009.
– D. Facal, M.F. Gonzalez, F. Talantzis, “Cognitive Games for Healthy Elderly People in a Multitouch Screen”, Proceedings of International Congress on Digital Homes, Robotics and Telecare for All, Barcelona, Spain, May 2009.
– F. Talantzis, A. Constantinides, “Using information theory to detect voice activity”, Proceedings of IEEE ICASSP 2009, Taipei, Taiwan, April 2009.
– O. Alrabadi, F. Talantzis, A. Constantinides, “Locating an Acoustic Source Using a Mutual Information Beamformer”, Proceedings of Artificial Intelligence Applications & Innovations (AIAI), 2009.
– F. Talantzis, A. G. Constantinides, C. Boukis, “The robustness effect of acoustic source localization on blind source separation and deconvolution systems”, 15th International Conference on Digital Signal Processing DSP07, June 2007, Cardiff.
– F. Talantzis, L. Polymenakos, ”Robustness of Non-Exact Multi-Channel Equalization in Reverberant Environments”, Proceedings of Artificial Intelligence Applications & Innovations (AIAI), 2007.
– F. Talantzis, A. G. Constantinides,”The effect of microphone array geometry on acoustic source localization”, International Congress on Noise Control Engineering INTERNOISE07, August 2007, Istanbul.
– F. Talantzis, L. Polymenakos, ”Robustness of Non-Exact Multi-Channel Equalization in Reverberant Environments”, Proceedings of Artificial Intelligence Applications & Innovations (AIAI) , Athens, Sep. 2007.
– N. Katsarakis, F. Talantzis, A. Pnevmatikakis and L. Polymenakos, ‘The AIT 3D Audio / Visual Person Tracker for CLEAR 2007’, in R. Stiefelhagen and J. Garofolo (eds.): CLEAR 2007, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 2007.
– F. Talantzis, A. Pnevmatikakis and L. Polymenakos, ‘Real Time Audio-Visual Person Tracking’, IEEE International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP 2006), Victoria, Canada, Oct. 2006.
– F. Talantzis, A. G. Constantinides and L. Polymenakos, ‘Using a differential microphone array to estimate the direction of arrival of two acoustic sources’, InrterSpeech 2006, Pitsburgh, USA, Sept. 2006.
– F. Talantzis, D. B. Ward, P. A. Naylor, “Expected Performance of a Family of Blind Source Separation Algorithms in a Reverberant Room,” Proceedings of IEEE ICASSP 2004, vol. 4, pp. 61-64, Montreal, Canada, May 2004.
– F. Talantzis and D. B. Ward, “Investigation of performance of acoustic arrays for equalization in a reverberant environment,” Proceedings of IEEE 14th Int. Conf. Digital Signal Processing, vol. I, pp. 247250, Santorini, Greece, July 2002.
– J. Soldatos, L. C. Polymenakos, A. Pnevmatikakis, F. Talantzis, “Perceptual Interfaces and Distributed Agents supporting Ubiquitous Computing Services,” Proceedings of Eurescom Summit 2005, pp. 43-50, April 2005.
– F. Talantzis, D. B. Ward, “Multi-channel equalization in an acoustic reverberant environment: Establishment of robustness measures,” Institute of Acoustics Spring Conference, Salford, UK, March 2002.
F. Talantzis, A. Pnevmatikakis, A. G. Constantinides, ‘Audio-Visual Person Tracking: A Practical Approach’, Imperial Press, In press 2011.