Teaching experience at graduate level
Have served as lecturer for AIT’s master’s program preparing and teaching the following courses:
– Broadband Networks: (GMPLS, SONET/SDH, ngSONET, OTN, EPON, GPON)
– Data Networks: (TCP, IP, Routing algorithms, BGP, OSPF, LANs, Ethernet, PPP, FDDI)
– Optical Communications: (Fibres, Lasers, Tx/Rx design, Amplification, WDM technologies)
– Telecom Systems: (PCM, Modulation, Channel Characterization, Coding/Decoding, OFDM)
Achieved excellent teaching evaluations results of 4.5 out of 5 on average in all courses and never less than 4.2 out of 5.
Supervised over 20 master Theses and assisted in the supervision and guidance of 3 successful PhD students.
Research project management
Have been actively engaged over the last 8 years in the management of twelve (12) large (3- and 4-year) EU funded research projects, in the area of optical networking, photonic technologies and telecommunication systems. These include: 4 projects on optical access networks, 4 projects on high capacity core networks, 2 projects on high speed transceiver design, development and evaluation and 2 research coordination projects.
Personal responsibilities relate with:
– team leading activities, serving as work package and task coordinator among various project partners from both academia and industry
– technical research and development work including preparation and editing of technical documentations, deliverables and publications
– administrative work on both the project planning and budget execution
– representation in projects’ reviews and evaluation meetings
Moreover, have served as proposal initiator and editor for many projects attracting a significant level of funding and establishing direct contacts and collaborations with large European vendors and telecom operators as well as several renowned research centres and university research groups.
Consultancy and training
Offered several consultancy services and targeted training courses to operator and vendor companies in Greece, on topics related with the design and deployment of broadband access technologies including: planning and design solutions for fibre network infrastructures, network switching and control technologies and cost evaluation methodologies.
Topics of technical expertise
Access networks: network design and deployment architectures (for FTTC/H systems, hybrid PON-VDSL systems and converged wireless-wireline), TDM and hybrid WDM-TDM system technologies, MAC design and DBA optimization methods, knowledge of GPON/XGPON and NGPON2 standards, techno-economic evaluation of PON systems.
Core networks: Switching architectures including modern flexible optical switching designs, path assignment and resource allocation optimization methods, multi-layer transport networking solutions, knowledge of SONET/SDH and OTN networking standards
Transmission systems: ultra-high speed high speed transceiver technologies for 100GE and 1TbE (including modern multi-level coherent systems), transmission performance optimization against impairments, experimental evaluation of optical transmission systems
Datacenter networks: Inter- and Intra-Datacenter optical network architectures, optical transceiver and switching technologies, performance analysis
Scientific outcomes and contributions
During the period 2003-2015 the undertaken research activities resulted in
– A total of 46 publications in major international refereed journals
– A total of 74 paper presentations in highly respectable international conferences
– A total of 8 invited talks in international conferences and workshops
h-index: 13, according to Web of Science (counting only the journal publications)
h-index: 18, according to Publish or Perish (counting all publications)
Best paper award at OECC 2004, Yokohama, Japan for part of the PhD work on a novel DPSK based labeling extraction scheme.
3 post-deadline papers at ECOC 2004 in Stockholm, 2007 in Berlin and 2008 in Brussels.
1 post-deadline paper at OFC 2009 in San-Diego, CA, USA.
Paper reviewer and Technical Program Committee member
Serve as technology evaluator and reviewer for the IEEE LEOS, OSA and IET Optoelectronics Journals. Also served as Technical Program Committee member in four (4) international conferences and several workshops.
Participated in the organization of two international conferences (ONDM 2007 and IEEE ICTON 2008) held at AIT premises.