Information and Communication Technologies describe a range of technologies for gathering, storing, retrieving, processing, analysing and transmitting information. ICT provides organizations with strategic advantages by facilitating problem solving, increasing productivity and quality, improving customer service, enhancing communication and collaboration, and enabling novel business models and business process restructuring. Innovation which can be described as the creation, development and implementation of a new product, process or service, with the aim of improving efficiency, effectiveness or competitive advantage, has long been recognized as a major driving force in economic growth and social development. Entrepreneurship, the practice of starting new businesses, is also a key driver of economic development since it enables continual improvement of societies and their organizations.
Over the last decade ICT has been the enabling and leading factor in organisational change and innovation and therefore in higher economic growth. Businesses in order to be more competitive, innovative, open, agile and value creating utilise new technologies, applications and services which enable them to operate as networked knowledge-based businesses and support their development and economic growth. These technologies along with novel processes, organizational models and strategies are essential in the way that organisations create and commercialise products and services in a competitive environment. It is therefore evident that the Computing / Business hybrid professional is the most sought after employee in today’s competitive market.
The MSc in Management of Business, Innovation and Technology is created in order to tie these three key drivers of economic growth, provide an integrated, strategic view of management of technology and innovation and address the contemporary challenges that managers face today. Targeted at people from any discipline, the programme aims to help entrepreneurs, innovators, managers and future managers better interpret their technological environments and identify meaningful trends. By examining emerging ICT, the entrepreneurial process and activities, and the dynamics of technology innovation, combined with a strategic, business-focused approach, the programme builds the necessary knowledge and skills that drive effective strategic management and intelligent decision making.
The aims for this programme are to:
- Deliver a curriculum that develops in students a broad understanding of the subject area together with a detailed and critical understanding of selected areas
- prepare students for professional practice in management roles of technology innovation and technology entrepreneurship by providing a programme which can meet the accreditation requirements of professional bodies and the needs of employers
- enable those already working to update and expand their professional understanding and competencies
- nurture the entrepreneurial spirit of the students and expose them to key entrepreneurial concepts relevant to the high-technology world
- deliver teaching informed and inspired by professional expertise and by the research and scholarship of staff
- expose students to the major trends of globalization and technology integration that are shaping the business environment
- enable students to identify, assess, and communicate the strategic competitive advantages enabled by information technology
- enable students to identify opportunities for new product or service development, assess their business potential and develop a business plan for the commercialization of such products or services
- provide students with an understanding of communication and information professional and ethical issues in society and knowledge-based economies.